Birds in a dream are common, as the stages in the development of a bird correspond with many stages of human development, such as leaving the nest, flying solo, and making and feathering the adult nest.
Common birds in a dream include the robin, phoenix, eagle, chicken, owl, crow, raven, dove, swan, and peacock. In general, birds in a dream represents the mind, imagination and intuition, freedom from restraint, hidden wishes and hopes, spiritual longings, and expanded experience.
Analysis of Birds in a Dream
When we dream about huge or very massive birds, this might be a metaphor for the strength of our collective unconscious mind. This might be seen as either menacing or uplifting, depending on the individual.
A dream of a bird in the house could symbolize a hope that something new and interesting will enter the dreamer’s life.
Seeing dead birds in a dream might be seen as a warning that the dreamer’s values are in danger or as a depressing realization that life is made up of nothing but material things.
The dream of a bird hatching from its egg may represent the dreamer’s birth and infancy. Leaving the nest signifies independence, and making a nest, parental urges.
Baby birds in a dream may symbolize the dreamer’s childhood. The nest itself is symbolic of the dreamer’s home surroundings and sense of safety, and it can even stand in for the womb.
To dream of a bird flying symbolizes independence, freedom, self-expression, and the ability to “rise above” things. For a more detailed analysis of flying as a dream symbol, see “The Meaning of Flying in Dreams.”
In many languages, “bird” means woman, so a dream about a bird could refer to a woman. In Italy, the penis is referred to as a “bird”. The bird is also used to denote both survival and death. Freud wrote that a bird symbolizes the male phallus and the sexual act.
Interpretation of Different Types of Birds in a Dream
- Blackbird – unconscious drives, death, negative aspect of the mother
- Bluebird – the soul or spirit after death
- Chicken – nourishment, the female in a male, cowardice
- Hen – mother
- Cock – male or male sexual characteristics
- Crow/rook/raven – death, bad news, fear, negative aspect of the father
- Cuckoo – desire or fear of sex outside main relationship
- Dove – peace, awareness of potential, religious experience
- Eagle/hawk/buzzard – hunter/provider, dominance, wide vision
- Owl – intuitive ability to see into the unconscious
- Peacock – pride, self display
- Phoenix – new strengths and impulses, regrowth after death
- Robin – new beginnings, self sacrifice, friendship
- Swan – spiritual connection with life, virginity, ideal sexuality
- Vulture – a relative waiting for another to die, conflicts around dependents
Further Analysis and Interpretation
Dreams provide access to the life’s unconscious processes.
Free dream analysis and free dream interpretation are easily available online for specific dreams. But the dreamers themselves hold the best answers.