Even if water may not look very special to you, you drink it and use it a lot in your daily life. There are some fascinating facts about water you may never hear about if you just take water for granted and never do any research.
Water is a clear, almost colorless chemical liquid that is the primary component of the Earth’s rivers, lakes, and oceans and the lifeblood of most living creatures. It has the chemical formula H2O, which indicates that its molecule comprises one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms connected by covalent bonds.
The 15 most Fascinating Facts about Water
- There are 525 million cubic kilometers of water here on earth and the amount of water has remained stable for the past 2 billion years.
- During a period of 100 years, a water molecule spends 98 years in seas and oceans, 20 months frozen as ice, 2 weeks in lakes or rivers and less than five days in the atmosphere.
- Water helps in regulating the earth’s temperature around the world.
- Water is the only element that can be found in solid, liquid or gaseous form.
- Water is a powerful solvent, as it is capable of dissolving more substances than any other liquid.
- The Sun evaporates over a trillion tons of water daily, which gathers in the atmosphere before falling to the ground as rain.
- Every day, a tree consumes 265 liters of water. While a hectare of maize crop drains around 30,000 liters of water every day.
- 97% percent of the world’s total water is found in seas and oceans.
- Ice floats on the surface of water because water weights 9 % less when frozen than when it is liquid.
- The earth’s surface contains 80% of the water found on the continents. The other 20% lies underground.
- Only 0.007 % of the water on Earth is drinkable, and this figure is decreasing year after year due to pollution. As a result, about 1.1 billion people worldwide lack direct access to drinking water sources. Every day, 4,500 children die due to a shortage of safe water in developing nations.
- Every year, around 3.5 million people worldwide die as a result of water-related diseases. The majority of these deaths take place in underdeveloped nations.
- The human body contains around 37 liters of water on average, and water accounts for approximately 66 percent of body mass. The human brain is composed of 75% water. Human blood is composed of 83% water. Human bones, on the other hand, contain 25% water.
- A normal person can survive a month without food, but only a few days without drinking water.
- It is advisable to drink about two or three liters of water per day, so over a lifetime we consume more than 75,000 liters of water.
Did you know these fascinating facts about water? Or did we forget something?
Leave us a comment down below and check out the answer to the following question: Why Are Leaves Green?