Petals

petals by belinda

He asked, “Why do you always pick the petals off your flowers before they’re dead?  They’re still vibrant and colorful; I don’t understand.”

She responded, “I want them to know that while I appreciate them when they’re vibrant and alive, I’ll love them just as much when they they are dried and pressed within the pages of my book. Though their appearance has changed – their beauty has not.”

He turned towards his ailing wife and wept with understanding. Gently he began removing petals from the flowers and pressing them within the pages. Turning to meet his wife’s gaze he simply said, “Beautiful.”

Advertisements

28 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Oliana
    Jan 17, 2016 @ 05:25:12

Such a moving story!

2. Jackie Jain
    Feb 18, 2016 @ 19:00:14

Wow such a touching story… Beautiful analogy… Love has no age.. Very nice story.. Have a good time.. 🙂

3. IreneDesign2011
    Feb 18, 2016 @ 20:40:53

Beautiful post Belinda 😀

4. MichelleMarie
    Feb 18, 2016 @ 22:20:57

AWE I love this! Pressed between the pages of my heart and mind and beautiful book! I love this B

5. Nicodemas
    Feb 19, 2016 @ 03:00:28

Yes, simply beautiful. Thank you Belinda.

6. rebel4universal2acceptance
    Feb 22, 2016 @ 03:36:48

This is beautiful.

7. Hyperion
    Feb 29, 2016 @ 01:44:18

This post was excellent and evocative of memories from my past. The scent of Roses and Petals brings back memories of my grandmothers, and my maternal grandfather who I mentioned was 101. My paternal grandparents had an English Garden, and my grandmother pressed petals from flowers that grew 20 years after my grandfather’s death. In her library was books full of petals and I would ask her what each was for and she had a little story for each one about the garden and my grandfather. My maternal grandmother always kept the petals in shallow wicker baskets year after year. She always wanted to make perfume from them but claimed she didn’t have enough. When she died, my grandfather kept the dried petals right where she left them. They are still there and I can remember when the top layer was fresh picked. It’s like an artifact in a museum taken from one’s life. I think freshening the home with flower petals was actually a common practice in their day. I’m sure that had an influence on me as well. I really enjoyed the vision this created in my mind as I tied it to my own memories.

• busymindthinking
      Feb 29, 2016 @ 01:52:18

Reading your comment is like having a romance novel before my eyes, and I feel privileged to read about your grandparents and what they shared. I think a deep sigh is appropriate and fitting. Devotion is beautiful to me.

• Hyperion
        Feb 29, 2016 @ 01:57:08

They wrote the book on devotion. Their generation truly lived the vow of until death do we part. And, they were well educated but never shied away from whatever hard work needed to be done.

• busymindthinking
        Feb 29, 2016 @ 02:04:03

I believe that is part of the strength in a relationship, working together on tasks no matter the ease or difficulty. I am thankful to know such stories exist. 🙂

• Hyperion
        Feb 29, 2016 @ 02:17:50

I could go on forever on this subject. I work in research and development as well as strategic planning in the measurement sciences. The trends in this area are a bellwether for our society. One has to have devotion and expect failure to do well. I work on developing things that require an education program for young engineers and scientist that haven’t been born yet. To visualize the future and march toward it with faith and devotion is a rare quality that continues to dwindle. Relationships are the same. It isn’t natural for twenty-somethings to plan for eighty something and continuously adapt to change in order to arrive at the objective in good shape and well prepared. What are just dreams and concepts for 2050 become tangible solutions the closer that year gets and then my juniors have to set their sights on 2100, all of us never know when our time is up or that surely we’ll never see the dreams come to fruition. It takes real devotion to work toward a goal you know you may not live to see. The secret is in continuity and unity of effort. We work together to benefit children and grandchildren not just our own lives. That’s the analogy we use.

• busymindthinking
        Feb 29, 2016 @ 02:30:29

“To visualize the future and march toward it with faith and devotion is a rare quality that continues to dwindle. Relationships are the same.” This is an absolute truth, and yet – my belief is that if we hold to hope and faith much can be accomplished, even though occasionally we may be the only one thinking it, it only takes one to create change. Your field sounds very interesting and the potential is unlimited. True also, our bodies are vehicles on loan and in keeping with that thought, there will be much unseen in terms of fruition, but knowing that a seed is planted, is a thing of beauty. I love the analogy used for your work, and it assuredly applies to life in all aspects.

• Hyperion
        Mar 01, 2016 @ 01:15:40

Belinda, I think we share many common views. It truly is about planting seeds and setting examples then having faith in oneself and devotion to a positive outcome and most of all in one another. I’ve seen many things accomplished by someone with a dream and the temerity to make it come true in the face of overwhelming negativity from others. That surely is a thing of beauty. 🙂

• busymindthinking
        Mar 01, 2016 @ 01:17:57

Your thoughts make me smile. Thank you for your positive energy. 🙂

• Hyperion