Don’t ask me to change

Dear Future,

There was a time when you loved me for all my idiosyncrasies. I don’t ever remember telling you I would lose them as I aged; and yet, it appears you expect me to do just that.

I was sentimental when we first met – that hasn’t changed either; yet you don’t seem to resent this quality as much, in me. I wonder why that is? Can you explain to me why some things must change, while you are content for other things to remain as they are?

My morals, ethics, beliefs, and what-have-you, these have gone unscathed – in spite of some tenuous circumstances – but these, these you embrace. Future, how do you decide…how do you choose what must be altered in my life?

In your hands I have entrusted my heart and soul; but often, I find myself questioning your abilities. I know I shouldn’t tell you that. I have seen you can be rather resentful; and at the risk of being offensive, a little vindictive sometimes. You can’t always have your own way you know. Don’t pout.

It is natural to rebel occasionally against expectation. You shouldn’t act like this is such a crime. You take everything so personally. Haven’t you heard the saying, you can lead a horse to water – but you can’t make him drink? I believe there’s a little wisdom in that message for you.

I can’t say with certainty who I will be five years, ten years, from now. Nor do I believe that you have me all figured out either. I’d ask you to remember that I am only me, and as such, subject to errors. Perhaps you could back off just a little and allow me some time for reflection and exploration. You have to have some faith in me. Please.

I know you’re anxious for me to get on with things, but there are times when living as the present is enough. To be who I am at this moment is enough. That is known as contentment, dear Future.

Don’t ask me to change.
Accept me as I am.

Love,
The Present

About these ads

Image

22 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Ann Koplow
    Feb 02, 2014 @ 00:52:58

Wonderful.

2. andy1076
    Feb 02, 2014 @ 01:44:36

I’ve often wondered about sending my future self a message too, warnings and reminders. Love this! :)

3. MichelleMarie
    Feb 02, 2014 @ 01:59:48

B this is so good! Alex and I had this very same conversation. Wondering why other expect anything other then WHO we are is beyond me. I always believe backing off and letting things simmer is best.
    I love the don’t pout part. Recently someone unfollowed and told me they thought I was offensive to their spirit the things I share. I’ve racked my brain to figure out what they meant by that and then I thought who really cares. I still going to share, how people take things is their own reactions I can’t imagine though being someone other them ourselves. It not a good thing to change and I love being loving and someone that is kind. However, it does ruffles my feathers a bit. BTW I love your biddy photos. I’m just getting to the and they are so so cute. I love this B and you! BUNCHES! You have a gentle way of saying things. I wish I could do this without getting out my Bazooka words and leveling them at the knees. PEACE, calm, serenity and some pink stuff. HUGS to you!

• busymindthinking
      Feb 02, 2014 @ 02:09:53

I too have no idea what you could possibly have said to be offensive. What we share in our blogs are our own decisions. If someone dislikes something, they can just simply not click like. To cause hurt is never warranted. Keep blogging my friend. We who know you best, know you’re filled with love. Hugs

4. claudytheartist
    Feb 02, 2014 @ 02:30:22

Belinda,
    Life is one transition of ourselves changing into ourselves! You are the only one and that is a unique and special person! Let us celebrate the person you are and the person you have changed to! I like the slogan I think Patricia Beytrat said, “Be yourself because everyone else is taken!” Of course you are always yourself in all the differences that includes and that is what makes Belinda the very special artist she is! Any changes imposed on self should be considered but ultimately you are who you are! And thank goodness for that! So lucky the world to have you and for me to enjoy every bit of all you share….Thank you for being you…. claudy

5. Trackback: “Don’t ask me to change” from Busy Mind Thinking | Women Who Think Too Much by Jeanne Marie
  6. claudytheartist
    Feb 02, 2014 @ 05:26:24

What the heck (hell) are you doing up at 3:21AM? Mind thinking? Or what? I am a night person and guess what? I take a bunch of medications just like you probably and sleeping regular hours or for more than just a few hours is zip zap zoie…it don’t happen! I have MS and have had 3 strokes and Spina Bifida or shoot name something and I bet you I have or had or will be getting it soon! I used to take 22 medications every day in different doses, times and effect! I was a zombie for 5 years and my brain was numb! It really was! But now I only take 8 medications…notice “only” 8. I like all the colors of the pills really except I almost died because I was over medicated. I collapsed on the kitchen floor hit my head bleeding and unconscious for 5 days? 5 days without water, toilet, food! That was it for me and I just stop taking all except a few. No narcotics or any psychotropic medications. Delete all this or use it for your next novel. It was a nightmare that I woke up from and just said enough is enough….How about your cabinet? I know you are not well. Want to let the cat out of the bag? Or not? Delete this please if you know how….Okay Belinda? Okay…claudy I just realized it is only 12:22AM Eastern Time here in Tampa, Florida..So never mind.. LOL claudy

• busymindthinking
      Feb 02, 2014 @ 05:46:35

I’m laughing. That time change thing is a kicker for many. I am actually off to sleep, or to hope to sleep, more accurately. Thanks for the many smiles on my face of late. Have a beautiful day. As for meds, I take 7 different antibiotics. For a body completely free of traditional medicines, it was a tough pill to swallow, pun intended. But, in time, hopefully that will decrease, along with my symptoms!

7. Deborah
    Feb 02, 2014 @ 12:19:04

The present is enough! Truer words were never spoken. Too many people live in the past or fret about the future. But the present really is enough. And with everything that is here in the present, it would be a shame to miss it by either bemoaning the past or worrying about the future. I love your spirit in this one!